What's in a day?
As kitchen supervisor, you'll be leading a small army of kitchen porters and overseeing the day to day running of the kitchen, including cleaning the equipment, checking supplies and rotating food stock. You'll be in demand in restaurants, hotels, pubs and the catering departments of schools, hospitals and ships. Note that part of the day may be spent working in an office, ordering supplies and so on.
- Managing the kitchen porters
- Making sure the kitchen is a safe and hygienic place to work
- Organising the inventory, storage, and distribution of foodstuffs and supplies
- Helping to plan menus, apportion ingredients and use food surpluses
- Control portion costs by working out the number of portions per food batch
- In some jobs you will be required to cook
What sort of hours will I work?
Hey, you're running a kitchen, so like the rest of the brigade you'll have to work split shifts and at least 40 hours a week, including some weekends. As with any kitchen job, you may find yourself working longer hours to meet the needs of the business.
What's the best bit about being a kitchen supervisor?
You are at the heart of kitchen operations, so you'll know everyone and everything.
And the worst?
The job may involve heavy lifting of food supplies and standing for a long time.
What skills do I need?
- Experience of working in a kitchen, perhaps as a kitchen porter or commis chef
- Some management experience will help
- Ability to multitask
What qualifications do I need?
- Health and safety or food hygiene qualifications are crucial
- Some employers look for level 2 NVQs, SVQs, a BTEC or a diploma in a catering subject
Who would it suit?
Someone who likes to be hands on and is a stickler for detail. You're going to have to get down to the nitty gritty because it's your job to help maintain high standards of health and safety and to make sure the kitchen never runs out of ingredients.
What sort of salary can I expect?
Jobs tend to come up at between £18,000 and £24,500 a year.
Where can I go from here?
You could move into a more senior cooking role, or follow the managerial route into front of house.
Look for kitchen supervisor jobs
- Search for chef jobs in Glasgow
- Search for chef jobs in Aberdeen
- Search for chef jobs in Edinburgh